I’m a little late to the game but thought this could still be considered valid as we’re only 6 25 days into 2011.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Went thru the process to be approved to adopt domestically, got selected by a birth mom, spent 2 months getting to know this amazing young woman and her support system, went thru a failed placement when she chose to parent.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really make formal resolutions but I made an ‘I Will Try’ list and I feel pretty comfy with my accomplishments. And there are a few things I would like to add to my ‘I Will Try’ list.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Pam had a fabulously handsome little guy named Joey.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My friend Bob.
5. What countries did you visit?
We stayed stateside this year but we managed to get out and about to several states including: Arizona, Nebraska, South Dakota, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Do I really need to state the obvious?
Other than that, I really felt a huge measure of peace in 2010. Despite all the craziness, I was surrounded by my awesome husband, some amazing friends, and lovely family.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 14th – the day we were officially matched
August 16th – the day we found out we were not bringing a baby home
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I know there are things I’m not thinking of but I really think my biggest achievement was actually holding it together and remembering to breathe in and breathe out with some semblance of normalcy.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I failed to keep the weight off. That’s been hard, sucky hard. But it’s never too late to make some changes.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Some minor colds, and a weird rib head issue.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My DroidX and my MacBookPro – oh I love them. J
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Chris – he is still my rock, my sweet, amazing, gorgeous, loving husband. You know the old Carly Simon song Nobody Does It Better? Yeah, that’s Chris.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I’m going to say no one. There are, of course, various politicians and pretty much the entirety of the political population in Washington DC, but not worth stressing about right now.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really excited about?
Besides the potential of bringing home a real, live baby, I got super excited about my trip to Ohio in July to see my HP girls.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
- Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars – Chris loves this song! I love hearing him sing it!
- The Mess I Made by Parachute – the lyrics of this song just get me. I’ve felt very awkward this year – not quite in my skin, if you know what I mean. And this song sums up a lot of feelings.
- Forever Reign by Hillsong Live – Recommended by my friend Mer, this song reminds me what it’s all about.
- Before the Morning by Josh Wilson – I cannot tell you how many people recommended this song to me this past year. And it really struck me, at how very perfectly it fit our circumstances.
- He Is With You by Mandisa – Oh gracious, this song touches my heart every single time I hear, like a little love song to me from God.
- It Might Be Hope by Sara Groves – There is something about Sara Groves, her voice, her attitude, whatever it is, I love it. And this song reminded me that hope would live again in my heart.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier, can’t even explain why, but I am.
– thinner or fatter? I am pleading the 5th.
– richer or poorer? Richer. Even though we don’t have bags of cash sitting around, I feel richer, blessed.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Taking pictures and capturing moments.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Trying to guess other people’s motives and even thinking they had a motive. I wrote this same thing last year and I really need to keep working on it. Could have saved myself a lot of hurt feelings if I would just stop imagining things in my head.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We traveled to MI to see Chris’ family, then to Ohio for New Year’s to see a dear friend and her family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Yep, over and over again with amazing husband.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Modern Family – love!
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope, life is too short for hate.
24. What was the best book you read?
I FINALLY started reading the Anne of Green Gables series. I cannot believe I’ve never read them. Love.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don’t know that I made any. Oh wait, the song Raining You by Brad Paisley came onto my radar. I am not sure how I didn’t know this song existed. Oy.
26. What did you want and get?
My MacBook Pro
27. What did you want and not get?
This one should be pretty obvious to regular readers. But honestly, I know that God’s got this one – and His timing is perfect.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I really, really, really loved Toy Story 3. I cry every single time I watch it.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36 this year. Yep, I am officially closer to 40 than 30.
Since we were in Michigan visiting family, Chris and I went canoeing in Ann Arbor, followed by lunch with awesome friends, and the water park with the same friends, then cupcakes at a lovely little shop in Ypsilanti. We then headed back to Chris’ parent’s house and had dinner and chocolate cake with the family.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having the adoption go thru.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
For another year, I’m sticking with relaxed and comfy.
32. What kept you sane?
My husband, music, awesome friends and family, chocolate, Moscato.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Still madly in love with Colin Firth.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I think more than stirred, annoyed is a better word. I was annoyed by all of the bickering and fighting and back stabbing. Is anyone in Washington capable of acting like a civil adult?
35. Who did you miss?
My dad, still, always.
My Harlan friends – it’s only 90 miles but it might as well be a million most of the time.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I loved our social workers and agency staff – they made this year bearable. And all of the amazing people we’ve met at church. It’s been a blessed year.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Keep breathing. When results depend on other people in your life, there is so much greater propensity for heartache.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Hope has a way of turning its face to you
just when you least expect it
you walk in a room
you look out a window
and something there leaves you breathless
you say to yourself
it's been a while since I felt this
but it feels like it might be hope
~Sara Groves – It Might be Hope